1 medium sized red onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, chopped into small pieces (pre-steam until a little soft)
1-2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 14 oz tin pre-cooked cannellini beans
1 14 oz tin pre-cooked lentils
chopped celery and flat leaf parsley – around ¼ cup in total.
For Liquidizing (blend in your food processor or liquidizer) :
4 to 5 tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
½ red bell pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
¼ tsp curry powder
optional – serve with garlic/spicy olives
- First pre-steam your carrots and pre-heat your oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Fry your onions in a casserole, then add your pre-steamed carrots, and stir in your tomato paste.
- Meanwhile liquidize the ingredients in the ‘liquidize list’ above, then, once the onions have become transparent, pour the liquidized ingredients onto the onions in the saucepan together with the pre-cooked beans and lentils, and stir. Leave to cook for 5 minutes or so.
- Now add ¾ cup of water, taste the mixture for salt, then allow to simmer for around 20 minutes. Add the celery and parsley, and place in your preheated oven for half an hour, or until the carrots are totally soft. The consistency should be thick and rich. Serve with my Walnut & Garlic Balls (below) and some hot bread !
Walnut & Garlic Balls
4 garlic cloves roughly chopped
1 cup walnuts
¼ cup smoked almonds
1 medium sized onion, roughly chopped
1 slice of wholewheat bread (not fresh)
1 tsp food thickener of your choice
½ tsp cumin powder
1/8 tsp asafoetida
zest of 1 lemon or lime
salt to taste
lemon wedges for serving
- Place the onions and garlic in the food processor and whizz, then add the bread and whizz again.
- Now add the remaining ingredients until thick stickyish crumbs are formed.
- Remove mix from processor and shape them into balls. Shallow fry them in a little olive oil. Remove when golden, and serve with the stew. Enjoy !
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell mouthwateringvegan.com 2010