I made this recipe a year or so back, but somehow lost it on my system and I was so mad at myself ! A year later and here it is – Banana, Almond and Cinnamon Cake – a great teatime treat, slightly moist and full of flavour. Cut yourself a slice and Enjoy !
250g (9 oz) plain wholemeal flour (wholewheat)
1 tsp salt
1 heaped tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 ripe bananas (small)
25g (1 oz) vegan butter (vegan margarine)
175g (6 oz) molasses sugar
175g (6 oz) almonds, chopped
a pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF (180ºC), and lightly grease your loaf tin (I suggest a 1 kg size)
- Sift your flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon into a large bowl, and give them a good stir using a fork.
- Peel the bananas, and mash with a fork in a separate bowl, then add them to the flour mix. Add in all the other ingredients, except for the nuts.
- Beat the mixture using a hand-held electric whisk until smooth. Then fold in the almonds.
- Spoon your mixture into your greased loaf tin, and smooth the top using a spatula. Bake in the oven for around 1-1¼ hours – you will know your cake is ready when you are able to insert a sharp knife or metal skewer into the centre of the cake, and it comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for a short while, before transferring to a wire cake rack. You can store the cake in the fridge for a few days, though I doubt that will be the case ! Enjoy !
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell mouthwateringvegan.com 2010