These are the most awesome fritters ever. Golden, crispy, ‘cheesy’, and flavoursome to the hilt. The zucchinis themselves were amongst the best I had ever tasted in my life, so I wanted to make something rather special, where the taste could be savoured and celebrated at the same time. Something Mediterranean, and full of flavour, which I would serve alongside locally grown, organic roast potatoes. So, having now conjured up an amazing appetite, all that was really needed was the juice of a fresh lemon, some sea salt and some ground pepper. Mmmmmm, the flavours – these are a ‘must make again’ number.
Note”- These fritters are NOT dense in texture, but are mouthwatering in taste !
Serves 3 to 4
4 regular/medium zucchini (about 1¼lb /½kg), shredded/grated (squeeze the mixture and dry with a towel to remove any excess water)
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp parsley, finely chopped
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
2 cups dried breadcrumbs
salt to taste
- Process your tofu, flour, grated cheese, salt, parsley in your food processor, and taste for salt. Blend until a little smooth, but it must remain thickish, and a little chunky.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Then spoon in the contents of your processor, and, using clean hands, give them a good mix, making sure that all gets well blended. It will feel thick because of the zucchini, but that’s fine.
- Heat up some oil in a non-stick pan, and with a large spoon, spoon in individual size portions and fry them – make them whatever size you desire.
- Remove from the pan when they are golden on both sides, and transfer them to a grease-proof oven dish. Place them in a medium hot oven 350ºF (175ºC) for 15 minutes or so, and serve with a salad, and roast potatoes, if you wish.
- Squeeze lemon on the lot, and Enjoy !
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell mouthwateringvegan.com 2010