This is a delightful chilli. I served mine with a mixture of short grain brown rice and pearl barley mixed – I boiled the two together. Then I dolloped on a couple of spoons of vegan yoghurt, and some plain tortillas.
1 400g tin crushed tomatoes
1 large onion, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups veggie mince (I use Linda McCartney myself)
1 400g tin borlotti beans
1 cup cooked sweetcorn
½ tsp chilli powder
2 tbsp tomato paste
4 sun-dried tomato halves, chopped
½ red pepper, finely chopped
1 tsp brown sugar
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp coriander seeds (optional)
salt & pepper to taste
¼ cup (60 mL) water
- Pour some oil in a non-stick frying pan, then fry the onion and garlic – but don’t allow it to stick or burn – a minute or two should do the trick.
- Next, add the vegan mince, and mix it around a little until it thaws into the pan, and remember to stir at the same time.
- Now add the tomato paste and sun-dried tomatoes, continue to mix, and add the spices and herbs. Mix again, and cover for half a minute on a low heat at this point.
- Now add the rest of the ingredients, except for the red pepper, and cover. Allow to cook on a low flame for around 45 minutes or so.
- Finally, add the red pepper and a little water, and continue to cook for a few more minutes. The red pepper will cook in the heat of the mixture, as it is very finely chopped, and we want a little crunch for the texture here. Enjoy !
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
These are free recipes for your pleasure – all we ask in return is that you take a few moments to leave us a constructive comment !suitable for vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike