The season of goodwill to all men (or should I reword that to say “all sentient beings that includes some people . . .”) is around the corner, and we haven’t been sleeping in the MWV kitchen. Far from it – we’ve been working like beavers round the clock to produce a magnificent menu in readiness for the menu-planning panic that everyone suffers around this time !
So, here’s a sumptuous feast – a HUGE sausage roast, that combines all the traditional elements, and my take on the famous trimmings – veggies with an exotic twist, as you might expect. This will be great for the non-vegan visitors or family members, and can be served with a vegan gravy. All best wishes and good tidings for a memorable Vegan Xmas Table !!
I serve this with my “Exotic Xmas Veggies & Trimmings” (http://mouthwateringvegan.com/2012/12/06/exotic-xmas-veggies-trimmings/), and my “Golden Cheddar’d Potatoes” (http://mouthwateringvegan.com/2012/11/13/golden-cheddar’d-potatoes/)
Serves 4 to 6 portions.
1 large white onion, very finely chopped and set aside
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
the zest of a lemon
2 cups of vegan mince meat (ground meat substitute) – I use Linda McCartney’s mince
6 vegan sausages – again, I use Linda McCartney’s Sausages (pre-thaw for 40 minutes or so)*
1 tsp dried rosemary or 1 Tbsp freshly chopped rosemary
½ tsp dried sage or 1 tsp fresh sage, finely chopped
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp curry powder
1 Tbsp HP brown sauce (or equivalent brown sauce)
1 Tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
2 slices brown bread – first process into breadcrumbs
1 cup (8 oz) firm silken tofu
salt to taste
¾ tsp vegetable granules, or vegetable stock powder
NOTE : If you’re in the UK, here’s a link of where to find Linda McCartney products :
Options for vegan sausages and ground meat substitues in the US include :
Yves Veggie (http://www.yvesveggie.com/products/ground-rounds.php)
FOR SAUSAGE COATING
1 packet (640g) puff pastry – I used JusRol, pre-thawed and set aside on a plate in the fridge
- First process your onion in the food processor, and transfer into a large mixing bowl.
- Then process your bread in the processor, and add to the processed onion.
- Repeat the same step with the sausages, and add to the mix, together with the veggie mince.
- Next, process your tofu until smooth, before adding to the mix.
- Add in your herbs and all the remaining ingredients, and, with very clean hands, mash the mix, before forming it into a large ball.
- Then roll the ball into a large sausage, and, using cling film, wrap the sausage, as you would a Christmas cracker, before then doing the same, this time using foil.
- Steam the sausage for 15 to 20 minutes in a large saucepan.
- Now roll out your puff pastry into a large rectangle (approx. 12” x 6”), then place the sausage in the centre lengthways, and roll the pastry around it.
- Gently place it on a greased baking dish, pour a little oil of your choice around it, together with a few springs of rosemary, cover in foil and bake in the oven on a low 300ºF (150ºC) heat for 35 minutes.
- Now uncover, and bake until nice and golden.
- Remove from the oven, and serve with my Exotic Xmas Veggies & Trimming, and my “Golden Cheddar’d Potatoes”. Enjoy !!
Either make up a brown Bisto sauce to put on the cut sausage (use bisto, brown sugar, ¼ tsp veg granules), or else a tiny bit of Marmite (yeast extract), cornstarch (cornflour), oil and water.
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
These are free recipes for your pleasure – all we ask in return is that you take a few moments to leave us a constructive comment !suitable for vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike