Inspired by a Turkish recipe – zucchini, onion and feta fritters – which are usually fried, I opted for a bake instead. I made this into a pie without the crust. It’s very easy to make, and very tasty too. You can make this a day ahead of serving if you wish. Kids love it. Serve with a mixed salad of your choice, or better still try my Middle Eastern Style salad with it.
1 x 350 g (12.35 oz) pack firm tofu (drained of its water)
3 heaped Tbsp cornstarch
1 medium sized leek, thinly sliced, and pre-steamed
2 zucchini (courgettes), thinly sliced
salt to taste
1 cup (250 mL) vegan milk
1 cup vegan cheese of your choice, plus extra for the topping
2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- Use your food processor slicer blade to slice the zucchini and leek – once chopped, set aside.
- Next, process all the ingredients, except for the parsley and vegan cheese, in your food processor for half a minute until smooth. Then add the parsley and cheese (minus the extra reserved for topping), and process for a further 10 seconds.
- Place half the chopped veggies in a greased oven-proof dish, then pour over half the tofu cheese mix, add the remaining veggies, and pour the rest of the mix over the veggies. Finally, spread the extra cheese on top
- Place in a hot 400ºF (200ºC) oven until golden on top – around 40 minutes. To check if it’s ready, place a knife in it, and if it comes out almost clean, you’re there.
- Allow to cool down for 20 minutes before serving. Enjoy !
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
These are free recipes for your pleasure – all we ask in return is that you take a few moments to leave us a constructive comment !suitable for vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike