I used to love calzone, and I happened to make some great vegan cheese yesterday – and here I used a combination of the two. Meanwhile, I purchased some super mushrooms for the filling, and made a homemade tomato and pumpkin sauce for a Halloween twist, and boy, oh boy did this fatso work ! The crust was inspired from my non-vegan days, when I had tasted a crust with honey drizzle – only this tastes better, as maple has that magic about it, and marries well with many savoury dishes, I find. This pizza is a masterpiece. My cheeses will be published in my book, due out next year. Meantime, Daiya, or other vegan cheese/s of your choice are more than welcome, and will work well, so long as they melt. This can be served with a green salad, or a coleslaw.
Makes 2 pizzas
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CRUST
see my pizza base recipe at http://mouthwateringvegan.com/2012/06/30/extra-cheesy-peppered-nutty-pizza-feast/
maple syrup to drizzle
INGREDIENTS FOR THE TOPPING
Pumpkin & Tomato Filling (see below)
2 cups of grated vegan mozzarella or other melting cheese of your choice (I used a mixture of my own cheese recipes – from my forthcoming book)
3 to 4 cloves garlic, well chopped
3 cups fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
salt to taste
a drizzle of olive oil
- Make your pizza base, see my link http://mouthwateringvegan.com/2012/06/30/extra-cheesy-peppered-nutty-pizza-feast/.
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- First, using the back of a spoon, smear half the pumpkin & sun dried tomato paste over one half of your first pizza base, leaving a border of around ½ inch.
- Then distribute half the mushrooms evenly over the paste, and do the same with half the grated cheese. Sprinkle on oregano, pour a little olive oil over the cheese, then close the pizza by folding the empty half of the base over the half with topping, and then seal, using your thumbs to press around the edges. You should be left with a large dome-like semicircle.
- Finally drizzle maple syrup over the top of the pastry.
- Repeat these steps for the second calzone, and place them both in your preheated oven in your oven until the edges become golden.
- Remove from oven, wait a couple of minutes, before then cutting and serving. Bon Appétit !
Spicy Pumpkin & Sun Dried Tomato Sauce
¾ kg pumpkin (weight unpeeled), peeled and chopped into large pieces
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 tsp tomato paste
1 to 2 small red chili peppers
½ tsp paprika
4 sun-dried tomatoes, halved
a drizzle of olive oil
a pinch of sea salt
- Having steamed your pumpkin until soft, remove and set aside.
- Next, place all the ingredients except for the pumpkin in a medium sized bowl, and blend with a hand blender until smooth.
- Add in the pumpkin, and process again – but don’t over-process. You should be left with a nice thick paste.
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
These are free recipes for your pleasure – all we ask in return is that you take a few moments to leave us a constructive comment !suitable for vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike