Here is one of the most delicious Baba Ganoush’s I have ever tasted. Enjoyed with smoked hot pitta bread and a drizzle of olive oil, it is in itself a hearty and rich appetizer. The flavours that merge from this little creation collide on your palette to bring you culinary joy and wonderful smooth and rich texture, which makes it all the more Moorish. Middle Eastern Cuisine at its super best !
1 large eggplant/aubergine
½ tsp cumin seeds (fry them in a non-stick pan stirring all the time for a couple of minutes, then remove)
1 to 2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 Tbsp fresh coriander (or flat-leaf parsley), chopped
1 Tbsp freshly chopped mint
juice of ½ lemon (I use a tad more, as I like it tangy)
salt to taste (don’t omit this)
2 to 3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tsp tahini
- First, pierce holes around your eggplant with a sharp pointed knife. Next, using a toast fork or metal barbeque skewer, hold the eggplant over an open flame, and scorch it whilst turning it around a few times. Be patient – this is the only part of the process that takes some minutes to complete. When the eggplant wrinkles, it will produce a slightly burnt smell, more like a semi-pleasant ‘smoked’ smell. It is this smell that the aubergine will absorb, which gives it its magical smoked flavour.
- Next, when the eggplant is done, place it on a plate and allow it to cool down, for about 15 minutes. Then peel it, and place the flesh in a separate bowl.
- Meantime, place the remaining ingredients (except for the tahini and the liquids) in your food processor, and process for a minute until all is finely chopped.
- Now add the eggplant flesh, and process shortly for around 20 seconds. Then add the liquid, and process for an extra 20 seconds. Taste for salt and lemon.
- Decant into a bowl and serve. Don’t serve this too cold, as in my experience it de-flavourizes it.
All recipes and content © Miriam Sorrell mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
These are free recipes for your pleasure – all we ask in return is that you take a few moments to leave us a constructive comment !suitable for vegans, vegetarians and meat-eaters alike