This is one of the most exquisite pizzas I have ever tasted or come across – the combination of ingredients is guaranteed to tickle the tongue, whilst delivering abundant culinary joy to your meal, and your guests, if you wish to be sharing this. It’s a memorable pizza you will make again and again. We served ours with a wonderful crunchy coleslaw, with additional sweetcorn and chopped apple. Bon Appétit !
Makes 2 Pizzas around 10 inches in diameter
INGREDIENTS FOR THE DOUGH
½ oz (11g) fast-acting dried yeast (I use Saf-Instant dry baker’s yeast)
1 tsp sugar
1 cup (250ml) water (room temperature)
3 cups (15 oz) mixed flour (2 cups unbleached white, 1 cup wholemeal)
1 tsp fine sea salt
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder, or finely chopped garlic
INGREDIENTS FOR THE TOPPING
14 0z (400 g) tin chopped tomatoes
3 cups of vegan mozzarella cheese, grated thickly
1 cup pecan nuts, roughly chopped
1 red onion, chopped lengthways
around 16 olives (salted dried ones, or others of your personal choice)
3 to 4 cloves garlic
8 chopped mushrooms (optional)
1½ cups chopped pineapple (optional)
1 tsp oregano
olive oil for drizzling
2 Tbsp (or more if you wish) freshly ground pink pepper
- Place the yeast and sugar in a jug, and add 50ml /2 fl oz of the water. Then leave for about 15 minutes, or until the mixture starts to froth.
- Mix the flour and salt together, making a whole in the middle.
- Add in the oil, the yeast mixture and the rest of the water. Then mix with a wooden spoon to form a dough, and place dough in a floured bowl.
- If you wish to save time, you can process the dried ingredients in the food mixer, and mix for a minute or so.
- Then slowly add the rest of the ingredients, and process until they form into a ball. If the mixture is too dry, add a little more water – and if it is too wet, add a tiny bit of flour to be sure it stays in one piece.
- Remove from mixer and place in a floured bowl.
Place a cloth over the bowl, and leave the dough to rise for around 30-40 minutes in a warm place (it may need a little longer depending on the temperature of the room). When it has doubled in size, it is ready for use.
METHOD FOR THE TOPPING
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF (200ºC).
- Having rolled the dough, and placed on a greaseproof oiled surface, smear on your tomatoes making sure you apportion them equally on your 2 pizza.
- Then add your mushrooms and pineapples (if you are using them).
- Next, add the pecan nuts, the olives and the onion – spread them as best you can, and finally drizzle on the olive oil and your vegan cheese, sprinkle the pepper and oregano and now your pizzas are ready for the oven.
- Place your pizzas in the oven, until the edges become golden, then remove and allow to rest for a few minutes before cutting up and serving. Drizzle with more olive oil if you wish.
- Serve and enjoy !
All recipes, content & design © Miriam Sorrell mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
These are free recipes for your pleasure – all we ask in return is that you take a few moments to leave a constructive comment !