These are simply delicious, rich in texture and taste. A divine treat with some earl grey tea, or any other hot beverage of your choice. Very more-ish, and the frosting is a healthy one, inspired by Barbara Cousin’s book ‘Vegetarian Cooking Without’.
3 cups unbleached white flour
1¾ cups brown sugar (muscavado is great)
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
¾ cup carob flour/powder
1 tsp fine sea salt
1 cup pecan nuts (or walnuts), roughly chopped
¾ cup vegan chocolate chips
¾ cup (175 mL) canola oil
2 Tbsp (30 mL) cider vinegar
1 Tbsp (15 mL) vanilla essence
1¾ cups (425 mL) cold water
METHOD FOR CAKE
- The first step is to preheat your oven to 375ºF (190ºC), and take all your ingredients out on your work surface.
- Line a lamington dish (approx 12 by 6 inches, or slightly smaller) with greaseproof paper for the base, and grease it and the edges just the same (to prevent sticking).
- Next, place all your dried ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and lightly mix them.
- Now add wet ingredients in one at a time, starting with the oil, and lastly pouring the water in. Mix well with a wooden spoon until nice and thick, but don’t be tempted to over mix. You should be left with a nice, smooth, thick consistency.
- Place in your hot oven, and allow to cook for 20-30 minutes. Be careful not to over cook – and definitely don’t let it burn. The brownies are ready when you can place a toothpick or skewer in them, and it comes out clean.
- When ready, remove from the oven, and allow to cool completely before removing the paper, and place on a plate, in readiness for frosting.
INGREDIENTS FOR FROSTING
2 oz (60 g) dried prunes, finely chopped
3½ Tbsp carob flour/powder
½ cup (125 mL) water
3 Tbsp tahini
½ tsp vanilla extract
pecan nuts, halved, for decoration
METHOD FOR FROSTING
- Finely chop the prunes, and add them in a small saucepan with the carob powder and water. Bring to the boil, and allow to simmer until the mixture thickens.
- Then take off the heat, add in the tahini and vanilla extract, and mix vigorously until fully blended.
- Spread the frosting on the top with a spatula, once the cake has cooled down, and decorate with pecan halves. Enjoy !
All recipes, content & design © Miriam Sorrell mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
These are free recipes for your pleasure – all we ask in return is that you take a few moments to leave a constructive comment !