Makes 4 to 6 generous portions.
I loved my Bounty. So, in the end I succumbed – I had to make my own vegan one, and share this. It does not look as good as a factory non-vegan one, although it looks very rustic, and rough at the edges. But the taste is far better than the non-vegan one, and far better for you. With a moist centre, and a wonderful chocolate coating – this is addictive folks, be warned.
Note : You will need a Tupperware container (approx 5.5 x 4 inches), and to line its base with greaseproof paper
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CHOCOLATE
7 oz (200 g) good quality vegan chocolate
a pinch of salt
1 heaped tsp coconut oil (I used Biona extra virgin)
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING
1½ cups dessicated/shredded coconut
1 Tbsp white vegan sugar
1½ Tbsp coconut oil
4 Tbsp (60 mL) water
- First place your chocolate ingredients together in a glass bowl, and microwave until melted – a minute or so on full should do the job. Otherwise the bain marie method will do (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bain-marie
- Then place the coconut oil in a small saucepan, and heat gently until melted. Then add the dessicated coconut, sugar and water. Mix for a couple of minutes, then remove and set aside to cool.
- Next, pour a few spoons of the chocolate in the base of the tupperware bowl (therefore sitting on top of the greaseproof paper base). Now place in the freezer to solidify – 20 minutes or so should do the trick.
- Remove from freezer, and spoon the coconut filling on top of the chocolate base, and place in the freezer for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer, and pour the remaining chocolate on top of the coconut filling – and once again, place in the freezer for a further 20 minutes.
- When it is solid, but not frozen, remove from freezer, and turn upside down. Remove the greaseproof paper, and cut into your desired shapes. Keep in an airtight container, and consume within 3 days. Enjoy !
All recipes, content & design © Miriam Sorrell mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
These are free recipes for your pleasure – all we ask in return is that you take a few moments to leave a constructive comment !