I had a packet of spinach tortellini that was gifted to me a few weeks back – mushroom and spinach filled – and I decided to accentuate the flavours further. I wanted a bowl of succulent tortellini and no compromises. So here is what I created, and I have to say, overly delicious indeed, was the result. Easy-as-pie to make too.
Makes 3 portions
- 1 packet of tortellini of your choice, stuffed with veg (ravioli would also work)
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 slices of faux smoked ‘bacon’, cut into small pieces & fried separately
- 1 courgette, sliced and fried separately
- 2 cups mixed wild mushrooms (I used a frozen variety) – fry them separately
- 2 cups of vegan cream of your choice – I used a mixture of soya cream and nut cream (one I make myself with cashews) – but any type suitable for a savoury dish will do
- a little extra dairy-free milk, to keep it creamy without congealing
- salt to taste
- fresh basil, chopped, for garnishing
- ‘Parmazano’ – vegan grated parmesan ‘cheese’ for topping (optional)
Cook your tortellini al dente (don’t overcook), rinse with cold water and set aside.
Now, in a large non-stick saucepan, add your cooked mushrooms and their juices, your cooked bacon and your garlic. Stir around on a medium heat for a couple of minutes.
Next, add the courgettes, mix again, and finally add half the cream. Stir and cover for one minute. Then add the remaining ingredients, except for the Parmazano (vegan grated parmesan cheese) and basil.
Serve immediately with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, Parmazano and your freshly cut basil leaves.
All recipes, content & design © Miriam Sorrell mouthwateringvegan.com 2010
These are free recipes for your pleasure – all we ask in return is that you take a few moments to leave a constructive comment !